Volcano Hiking the Caldera Islands
If you have been to Santorini before, you have admired the view of the volcanic caldera from high up on the cliffs of the whitewashed villages of Fira or Oia. You may, then, have wondered about the two islands in the center of the caldera. These are the two small uninhabited volcanic islands called Nea ("New") Kameni and Palea ("Old") Kameni. On this land adventure you will have the opportunity of visiting these islands. A local caique will take you from the yacht’s side for a 15-minute boat trip over to Nea Kameni. The sail will take you along the volcanic shores with the peculiar rock formations. The black volcanic rocks contrast wildly with the white pumice, offering impressive views. After disembarking the caique, a 30 minute hike will take you to the crater of the still active volcano. During your walk up on an ascending path you will have the opportunity to observe lava fragments and the volcanic rock formations. Once you have reached the crater you will have time to relax and enjoy the view of Santorini Island and the amazing cliff-walls of the caldera. Descending back to the caique, you leave the volcanic island and sail towards the thermal springs of Palea Kameni. The boat will pass by the green sulphur-stained warm waters with temperature that reach 37 degrees centigrade. From there you will continue your boat trip back to the yacht.
Please note: There is no shade on the volcano and you should wear appropriate sun protection. Good walking shoes are required and you should consider the nature of this active land adventure when booking.
Notes: A minimum participation is required to operate all Yachting Land Adventures and some have limited capacity. All adventures and prices in the SeaDream Yachting Land Adventures program are subject to change. Not all of the land adventures shown will be offered on all voyages and departure times are subject to change. Final pricing and departures times will be published onboard.
Duration: 2.5 hours
Voyages where this land adventure can be found:
- Sep 27, 2014 - Athens (Piraeus) - Istanbul
- Jul 25, 2015 - Istanbul to Athens (Piraeus)
- May 08, 2015 - Civitavecchia to Athens (Piraeus)
- May 21, 2015 - Istanbul to Athens (Piraeus)
- May 30, 2015 - Athens (Piraeus) to Istanbul
- Jul 04, 2015 - Dubrovnik to Athens(Piraeus)
- Aug 15, 2015 - Dubrovnik to Athens (Piraeus)
- Aug 22, 2015 - Athens (Piraeus) to Istanbul
- Sep 11, 2015 - Istanbul to Venice
- Sep 23, 2015 - Venice to Athens (Piraeus)
- Oct 10, 2015 - Istanbul to Athens (Piraeus)
- Jul 11, 2015 - Athens (Piraeus) to Istanbul